If you've been looking at this site for a while, why not register and start a discussion on your favourite movies and TV Shows?  As a registered member you can add movies and TV Shows and do a lot more than just look.  Sign up today and become a MovieBuff.

:thumbs_up:

Dave Dave

Not many high end releases

There's been an absence of high quality, top rated, big budget releases in the past 12 months - all down to the Pandemic that we know as Covid-19.  It's not surprising that the big name studios have been reluctant to release completed movies, due to the fact that cinemas have been closed and there is little if any revenue around to recoup what has been ploughed into making a movie.

A few studios have attempted to remedy this by releasing to a streaming platform (or platforms) with a rental price that is eye-wateringly high.  Disney attempted this first with Mulan and were asking £19.99 to view it about 6 weeks before being released to the regular Disney+ platform.  Next was Wonder Woman 1984 a DC production released by Warner at a rental cost of nearly £16.00 - in terms of cost these are roughly on par with a cinema ticket (perhaps more depending on your cinema) but the experience is not the same, regardless of what your home cinema setup looks like.

Hopefully 2021 will be different as we come out of lockdown and studios will be treating us to some amazing and brilliant releases.  We could certainly do with some sunshine and smiles after what we have just come through.  Here's hoping.

:thumbs_up:

I'm not sure if this year will be any better for the movie industry, COVID does not want to let go just yet.

I agree and I've noted that a lot of studios are beginning to give home viewers the chance to watch movies via streaming that they would normally see at the cinema, however the rental price is ridiculous.  £16.00 to rent a movie is far too much - it's not a cinema experience so it should be cinema priced.  I prefer to wait until the movie is released on DVD and then the streaming price comes down.

Mulan was a good example of the first out of the box, £19.99 to rent, but six weeks later it was part of my Disney+ subscription so I paid nothing other than my subscription fee.  I understand that studios want to recoup what they have lost through cinemas closing, but it they price things out of reach (bearing in mind that many people have lost their jobs to Covid) then they will recoup as much as they would have if they priced more sensibly.  I reckon £7.99 would be a fair price and bring it into reach to more people - the more you sell the more you rake in.

Tough year for sure - and some tough times still ahead until we (the world) get a handle on this thing and knock it out.